Friday, September 9, 2011

A Tale of Beers, Bears, Basslines and U.G.C

Lat night the Fat Disciples had a rehearsal.  It was not a full band effort - Holly was at her granddad's funeral and Chris is holidaying with the future in-laws, but Dal, the Bear and I were there.

I get a bit of grief from the band about my insistence that we drill our songs.  I refer to this practice as "UGC" or Under Gig Conditions.  Yeah, it's a bit geeky, but we need to practice the songs we will actually play if we are going to do anything approaching a decent gig.

The Bear doesn't like UGC.  The Bear is a creative soul who flourishes when we come up with new ideas.

The UGC run-through was OK.  The songs definitely need Holly singing.  My flat efforts were dreadful.  To think that at one point we thought I would have to sing if we gigged.  That would not have been good.

After running through the set The Bear got his way and we started to play around with a couple of bits-of-songs that we have messed with in the past.  No real progress made, but fun to make a loud noise.

The most creative moments were when Dal and I swapped instruments.  Dal played lead in Shamoogatron - the band he, The Bear and Chris used to be in.  He took the Les Paul Studio, whacked on the Wah and started rocking.  The Bear wanted a repitive bassline  that we could work around, I provided that.  We jammed a bit and recorded the efforts.

I then started playing a simple but catchy Bass Riff - around D and F#.  Dal and I swapped back - he carried on the bassline and very quickly we had the makings of a good bluesy song.  It came from nowhere, but made sense - with The Bear's frantic beat and Dal's bouncy bass and me playing a fuzzy 2-chord riff.  We recorded this as well and I'll try to work it up into a full song before our next rehearsal.

I am still a firm believer of UGC, but sometimes The Bear's insistence on trying new stuff pays off.

No comments:

Post a Comment