Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Autumn Falling

It was hot in New York.  Really hot.  Hide in the shade, drink loads of water hot.  Suffice to say then, that it was a surprise to return to London to find that autumn is truly underway!

I was sitting in my lounge last night and realised that it was dark at 8pm. Proper dark.  And the breeze coming through the open window carried a real chill. The first fall of leaves had happened in our absence and there were reds and golds and browns fluttering round the pavements.

I will miss summer.  I don't have the complexion for the sun, but I certainly like the heat.  This has developed in me as I have grown older, but the turning of the season means my favourite type of day will be with us soon.

As Autumn moves towards winter and the days shorten, we will have days (normally in late October/early November) where the sky is clear and blue and the air is very cold.  These crisp, clear days with their clouds of breath and sore-red ears are the days that let me know I am alive. I love those days.

There are other benefits to the turning of the seasons. For all the beer garden fun we lose, we now have pints in cosy pubs by the fire.  I defy anyone to not find joy in that.  And there is something wonderful in eating out in London as the winter world passes by the window. 

Yeah, I'm sad Summer is ending, but I will look forward to a wonderful London winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment