Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Decisions

I often reflect on how lucky I am.  I have an amazing fiancée, a loving family, great friends, a good job – by all standards I am doing very well for myself.  I manage to stay happy by having few (if any) regrets.  I am happy with the choices I have made and with how my life has panned out to now.  Part of the secret to this however is that I have not been afraid to make decisions or take plunges when the opportunities have arisen.  I’ve moved all around the UK with work for example, and have experienced nothing but good things as a result. But...

I’ve been with my current employer for 10 years.  10 good years.  The job is fulfilling, I help people and I get paid well to do it.  I interview people who want to work for us and they always say they want a job that allows them to make a difference – that makes this a good place to work.  I have this feeling in my gut.  It niggles and plays at me.  It is telling me that I am fast approaching a point where a decision will need to be made, and I am beginning to realise what that decision is going to look like. 

I June I will get married.  I’ve been saving like mad for this wedding.  Before that I was saving like mad for the deposit on our flat and before that I was using every spare penny to pay off my debt.  Come July I will not be saving for anything in particular.  That will give me a sense of freedom I’ve not had before.  I’ll still be saving, but it is likely that I will be saving for what will ultimately be a move to Australia.  That, I am very much looking forward to and it is the catalyst for the decision I can feel edging my way.

I am growing incredibly tempted to take a career break and go travelling.  The idea of Rina and I slowly working our way around the globe really excites me.  It is not something I could do tomorrow or the next day (it will take a fair bit of saving) but if it is what we decide to do it will be an intoxicating goal to work towards.

That is where my head is at the moment – sitting on a beach in Thailand!

No comments:

Post a Comment